HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Wishing all of Dominica and our friends near and far a very Positive, Bright 2018 as we rebuild and step into our future.
Do you have a business in Dominica?
Sign-Up for avirtualDominica.com – It’s Free!
On September 18, 2017 at 8.30 pm Hurricane Maria hit Dominica as a Category 5 Super-Storm
The devastation to our beautiful Nature Island is mind-numbing. About 60 lives have been lost so far and people are still missing. But if I know anything about Dominica, it is that the people are STRONG. We will rebuild. We will recover. We will see the beauty of the Nature Island once again. It will take a lot of hard work, and a lot of help from the international community.
The final stanza of our National Anthem sums it all up for me:
Come ye forward, sons and daughters
Of this gem beyond compare.
Strive for honor, sons and daughters,
Do the right, be firm, be fair.
Toil with hearts and hands and voices.
We must prosper! Sound the call,
In which ev’ry one rejoices,
“All for Each and Each for All.”
Watch this page to see how you can help rebuild the Nature Island.
For up-to-date, accurate information about what is going on in Dominica:
- Get the Latest Tourism Updates from Discover Dominica Authority here
- Join this Facebook group – Dominica Hurricane Relief – Maria (Facebook Group run from Grenada by International Rescue Group, updated daily.)
- UN Report – October 4th to 7th (United Nations in collaboration with partners on the ground in Dominica)
- Daily Updates – GIS Daily Press Briefings
Press Release from Discover Dominica Authority:
- Press Release – Post Hurricane Maria update Oct 18 2017
- Press Release – Post Hurricane Maria update Oct 31
- New Website for Updates on the Tourism Sector Post-Hurricane Maria – http://dominicaupdate.com/
- Press Release from Invest Dominica Authority – 22nd December 2017
Here are some Fundraising Efforts
- GoFundMe for the Soufriere, Scotts Head Communities (For Communities in Dominica’s South West)
- GoFUndME for Emergency Relief (Fund directive for Dominica based in Grenada for IRG and )
- GoFundMe for Orion Academy (For a Secondary School in Bath Estate/Roseau)
- JustGiving Fund by Mermaid’s Secret (For Communities in Dominica’s South East)
The rest of avirtualDominica.com remains untouched, as it was on September 18th, 2017. It is a tribute to our beautiful country and a beacon of hope for rebuilding. #DominicaStrong
Last Update on 1st January 2018
Welcome to the Nature Island
And welcome to avirtualDominica.com ~ a comprehensive guide to our beautiful Caribbean island, Dominica
Get to Know Dominica – From hiking the lush mountain peaks soaring nearly 5,000 ft. tall, to diving the dramatic vertical walls of our underwater terrain, it’s no wonder Dominica can take your breath away at every turn.
Explore our site to find out what makes Dominica one of the best vacation destinations in the Caribbean for scuba diving, whale & dolphin watching, hiking, bird watching, exploring a pristine tropical rainforest along our Waitukubuli National Trail, discovering our unique culture, find the perfect place to stay…or simply relaxing on one of Dominica’s secluded beaches or in our unique, natural hot springs.
Dominica’s Carnival ~ Mas Domnik 2018
Dominica’s Carnival Celebrations are on for February 12th and 13th 2018. Our Carnival celebrations are both unique and traditional. Although we’ve been challenged by Hurricane Maria, our cultural heritage will shine through as we all Play Mas in 2018. Join us!
Know what you are looking for?
YOGA IN DOMINICA!Dominica makes the perfect back-drop for meditation, yoga and fitness, while finding harmony within yourself surrounded by nature. Start your plan to get healthy by taking a Yoga Class! Visit our new Yoga Page to learn about Yoga Classes on island.
CULTURE & HERITAGE
Dominica has been influenced by different cultures over the course of its history. Originally inhabited by Arawak and Kalinago people, colonised by the Europeans, and a strong African influence. Dominica’s culture is as multi-faceted