For the first time, the Nation’s Station DBS Radio in collaboration with the Ministry of Education has hosted a National Reading Competition to inspire children to “Read Today, For Tomorrow.”
This initiative was the brainchild of Mr. Felix Henderson, a popular radio personality here in Dominica. Together with “Uncle Pawol” Alex Bruno and the rest of the DBS Team, this core of dedicated individuals has put together a unique event that is sure to be repeated next year. With sponsors both locally and internationally, the reading competition seemed to take on a life of its own, gathering momentum with each subsequent Round of Reading.
The Competition began on June 2nd, as children nine years of age competed through a series of Rounds. Schools sent their best readers to regional competitions at the Parish level, where in each Round the children read a narrative, followed by a shorter news segment. A panel of judges then graded the students on criteria such as accuracy, smoothness, confidence ad expression. The round continued through Quarter-Final and Semi-Final copetitions, until 10 finalists remained from a group of more than 60 children
The Grand Finals were held at the Arawak House of Culture on Friday, July4th 2008. The children read to a packed house. Dignitaries such as the Honourable Prime Minister of Dominica Mr. Rooselvelt Skerrit, Acting President His Excellency Conrad McIntyre, Minister of Education Hon. Vince Hendereson as well as other memebrs of cabinet. Performances by Calypsonians, Hunter, the Observer, and Daryl Bob, as well as a News Reading Segment in braille were highlights of the evening’s event.
The ten finalists all won personal computers for their achievement (left to right):
- Nicole Jno. Lewis – Salisbury Primary
- Kareen George – St. Martin’s Primary
- Gaiel Jno. Baptiste – Roseau S.D.A. Primary
- Tiarra Georges – Atkinson Primary
- Kadie Robinson – Wesley Primar
- Taj Brumant – Convent Prep
- Diane Robinson – Marigot Jr.
- Rhillah Benjamin – Berean Christian Academy
- Andrew Walsh – Pioneer Prep
- Darren Brumant – Soufriere Primar
A big congratulations to all ten finalists!
And the winners are…
- 1st place – Rhillah Benjamin, Berean Christian Academy
- 2nd Place – Taj Brumant, Convent Prep
- 3rd Place – Andrew Walsh, Pioneer Prep
Congratulations to all the Participants, Organisers anad Sponsors for putting on a fantastic, positive event for Dominica’s youth and the entire nation.