Hurricane Maria - 2017
On September 18, 2017 at 8.30 pm Hurricane Maria hit Dominica as a Category 5 Super-Storm
The devastation to our beautiful Nature Island is mind-numbing. About 60 lives have been lost so far and people are still missing. But if I know anything about Dominica, it is that the people are STRONG. We will rebuild. We will recover. We will see the beauty of the Nature Island once again. It will take a lot of hard work, and a lot of help from the international community.
The final stanza of our National Anthem sums it all up for me:
Come ye forward, sons and daughters
Of this gem beyond compare.
Strive for honor, sons and daughters,
Do the right, be firm, be fair.
Toil with hearts and hands and voices.
We must prosper! Sound the call,
In which ev’ry one rejoices,
“All for Each and Each for All.”
Watch this page to see how you can help rebuild the Nature Island.
For up-to-date, accurate information about what is going on in Dominica:
- Get the Latest Tourism Updates from Discover Dominica Authority here
- Join this Facebook group – Dominica Hurricane Relief – Maria (Facebook Group run from Grenada by International Rescue Group, updated daily.)
- UN Report – October 4th to 7th (United Nations in collaboration with partners on the ground in Dominica)
- Daily Updates – GIS Daily Press Briefings
Press Release from Discover Dominica Authority:
- Press Release – Post Hurricane Maria update Oct 18 2017
- Press Release – Post Hurricane Maria update Oct 31
- New Website for Updates on the Tourism Sector Post-Hurricane Maria – http://dominicaupdate.com/
- Press Release from Invest Dominica Authority – 22nd December 2017
We have begun work to update the content on avirtualDominica.com. #DominicaStrong
Last Update on 23rd April 2018